Day 530 - Getting hard to think of titles!
* Worked on new levels
* Fixed bug where holding a direction key on the player or enemy’s turn would prevent their turn from ending
* Changed fast-forward behaviour so that it’s a toggle. Pressing shift once during the enemy turn will fast forward it until it’s the player’s move again.
I tested some larger levels with 50+ enemies in more epic styled battles. The game seemed to perform fine which is good! Not sure if those levels will be necessarily fun, but they’re possible.
Day 529 - Attack from behind
* Made it so that you can’t attack enemies before they spawn (when they’re invisible)
* Worked on a new forest level
Since I fixed that bug with being able to attack enemies in their original spawn locations, it now means that I can spawn enemies “behind” the player when they open a door, for a chance to surprise the player.
Day 525 - Transparent objects, bug fixes and polish
* Added bell ringing sound
* Made trees and large rocks go transparent when you walk behind them.
* Reduced baby spider damage and AP
* Fixed bug with baby spiders spawning on obstacles like chests, levers, etc.
* Removed baby spiders from blocking line of sight when using ranged attacks (i.e. you can shoot “over” them now to hit other targets behind, since they’re so small)
* Stopped enemies from attacking player’s dead bodies (they can walk on them now too)
Day 519 and Day 524
* Fixed bug with screen scale changing from splash screen and between other screens
* Implemented equipment screen completely
* Implemented Level Select world map
* Added “waddle” to movements
* Disabled “double-casting” of certain spells such as blink and charge, but left in double-casting of shooting arrows.
* Changed blinking animations to be more of a “phase”
Day 505 - Implementing Equipment Screen
* Worked on implementing the equipment screen
This is a mockup I created of the equipment screen, and in-game it looks pretty much the same:
A better version of the final artwork will be created by Philip or Chris, so it’s not final art, but I needed to do it to work out the layout and make sure things are usable. I’m pretty happy with this design now. A scroll pops up when you select an item to give you a selection amongst other items.
It will probably take a couple more sessions to fix this up. It is functionally working, but it needs some niceties like showing the stats for each item and how they affect your base stats.
The consumables are slots for potions and the like which will give the heroes temporary buffs in-game.
After I’ve built this equipment selection screen I’ll be working on a level selection screen. I’m planning to do a world map styled piece since the game has a linear direction and story.
I also launched a new website for Dungeon Dashers a few days ago (which is what I had been working on recently).
You can view it at http://www.dungeondashers.com
Day 497 - Equipment screen design
* Did design work on new equipment screen.
Now that there are some new items to unlock I’ve been iterating over some new designs for the equipment screen (and later the level selection screen too). This will be the fourth or so iteration on the design, and I will try to include some basic artwork in this version as well, as everything has used placeholder art so far.
Day 496 - Epic Chests
* Implemented new epic chests unlocks to unlock new items (weapons, armour, etc.). Levels will now contain these chests.
* Made white teleports reset only when an individual character’s turn passes (i.e. on the start of their next turn). This means that players don’t accidentally walk on top of the teleporter after moving everyone there.
* Increased Ryder’s critical hit base damage from 11% to 51% making blinking behind enemies more advantageous
* Decreased miss chance for ranged characters
* Did more level design and dialogue writing
Epic Chest (Philip made this):
Tomorrow I hope to implement a new equipment selection screen and build a new level.
Day 493 - Back into it!
* Added auto-revive when players die
* Changed textboxes so that pressing spacebar displays all text instead of speeding up. (Stops missing messages).
* Changed textspeed to be more consistent across more machines.
I’ve been really busy after I got back from GDC. I’m actually studying part-time at uni (Masters of Software Engineering), so I had a couple of assignments for that. I’d like to get back into working hard on the game and really pushing it to completion. So here’s my first post of more to come. I’m aiming to get back into daily posts.
Day 442,443,444 - Three Days of Updates!
I’ve been going to bed really late working on this game so I’ve been too tired to post updates. So right now, the past 3 days of updates!
I’ve been rebuilding a couple of the introductory levels because the previous ones had weak dialogue and weren’t very interesting.
* Built new level 1 tutorial which has much better storyline and introduction to elements in the game
* Began work on level 2 which still has many tutorial and dialogue elements
* Added more variations to the obstacles which the knight can charge through
* Finished level 2
* Built new level with Dragon boss
Dragon boss level:
This will be the final level in the GDC build, which will be done in a couple of days.
I don’t think I’ll be able to do many more changes to the core game. I would have liked to make inventory better, etc. I’ll have to spend most of my time making new levels, but we shall see how time goes.
Here is my todo list for GDC, straight from my notepad, all poorly written:
* Design 3 Forest Levels
* Build forest levels
* See if I can retroactively add cave levels
* Stats showing
* epic chests + loadouts
* Arrow keys working on everything
* Unlock lots of skills
* End Screen stats
* Main menu logo/buttons working
* Bug fixes
That’s the features I think I can get in… there were a few more that I wanted to but probably won’t have time. Such as healing potions.
Day 441 - Multi-use teleports + pits
* Implemented multi-use teleports (don’t deactivate after using them once)
* Fixed lightning for vertical doors
* Worked on gate lightning (but will probably postpone until later)
* Imported new tileset with larger floor pits and more lava
Next up is building some levels. I’m going to build the levels I’ve designed on paper tomorrow and see how they turn out.
Relatively boring screenshot of pits:
Day 440 - Stone Blocks
* Wrote more story and dialogue (which I did a lot of yesterday but didn’t post about). I think I’ve got a much better script for the opening levels which is more interesting and less cliche as well
* Designed a few new levels on paper
* Tweaked how textbox appears (fades in “nicer” and slower)
Testing out some elements with the new stone blocks.
Day 435 - Music Engine Changed Again + Featured on Reddit
* Added new chests (smaller chest graphic)
* Changed stone and stalagmite tiles to be more visible (graphical change)
* Fixed bug where nothing would happen if all players died (now shows defeat message)
* Fixed bug with blinking into obstacles (could blink into Knight obstacles)
* Implemented new music engine (again!)
* Made fast-forward fast forward more (can now skip “delays” in scripted sequences)
* Added new “play track” action to triggers (can force a track to play, e.g. battle music when you open a door)
* Various bug fixes
Stuff for this GDC build is coming along slowly but surely. Need to implement some more features and then get building some new levels. I’m going to build a new tutorial/first level which will be much smoother, and have better dialogue. I’ve got some new traps/puzzle elements which I think will add a lot of depth so I’m excited to add those.
Additionally today the game got featured quite heavily on Reddit which drove about 3,000+ visitors to the website: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/19ytj3/games_have_the_worst_puns/ So that was pretty cool.
Day 424 - Added indicators for skill hotkeys
* Changed skill hotkeys to QWER
I’m not sure if QWER is the most comfortable set of letters ASDF might be better (though both on US keyboards). Controls can be changed, and the letters will change accordingly.
The skill boxes are a bit overrun now with both the AP cost and key to press. Might need to edit the box itself to hold this information rather than cover the images.
Day 423 - Refactored Shadow Loading
* Fixed shadows so that they load externally from files.
Ran into some more problems with the shadows today but got them working in the end. It was quite tedious to implement the new system, and it looks the same as the old shadows, but now it’s easier to do shadows for other tilesets. Refactoring!